Professional recognition of foreign qualifications
Recognition of foreign diplomas » Professional recognition of foreign qualifications
When is the professional recognition of foreign qualifications necessary?
The profession is regulated in Latvia. You have rights to practice profession fully and independently in your home country and you want to practice it in Latvia.
Where to get information about regulated professions in Latvia?
Academic Information Centre has developed a data base on regulated professions in Latvia.
What documents should be submitted?
A person submits to the information institution:
- an application;
- copy of passport;
- documents approving education and professional rights in profession;
- certificate from competent home institutions on rights to exercise profession;
- certificate on work experience in home state;
- a certificate of good conduct (doctors, nurses, dentists, midwives, pharmacists, architects, veterinary surgeons) not more than 3 months old.
Documents which are not in Latvian should be translated into Latvian. Documents issued outside EU (except Russia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Belarus, Kirgyzstan, Moldova) should be legalised in Latvia.
What is a procedure on recognition of foreign professional qualifications in regulated professions?
- Information institution (in most cases (exept the field of transport) it is Academic information centre, ) checks the documents and sends them to the competent body ;
- Competent body takes a decision on recognition, partly recognition or deny of recognition and sends its decision to AIC. AIC forwards the decision to the applicant.
- The answer should be prepared within 4 months after the submission of the full file or within 3 months for EU doctors, nurses, dentists, midwives, pharmacists, architects, veterinary surgeons.
Pharmaceits, physiotherapists, nurses responsible for general case with EU member state qualifications can apply for recognition through European Professional Card online platform.
Is there a different procedure for non-EU professional qualifications?
No, the procedure is the same for EU and non-EU qualifications, but the decisions made by competent bodies may differ for EU and non-EU qualifications.
There is no automatic recognition for non-EU qualifications of doctors, nurses, dentists, midwives, pharmacists, architects, veterinary surgeons.Different kind of additional requirements can be applicable.
How much does it cost?
The cost for professional recognition procedure is EUR 200.
According to The Regulation of the Cabinet of Ministers, No.298.
What is the procedure for temporary providers?
If EU professional wants to provide temporary services in Latvia the above mentioned procedure is not applicable. The person should write a declaration to the competent body.
If non-EU professional wants to provide temporary services in Latvia, the recognition procedure is the same as for permanent services.
Which law regulates the procedure?
Law on Regulated professions and recognition of professional qualifications.
The provision of information on educational opportunities in Latvia – National Educational Opportunities Database NIID.LV