How to enter education system

The education system in Romania guarantees the right of foreign minors of equal access to all levels and types of education in Romania, as well as the right of life-long learning, without any type of discrimination.

In the compulsory education system, foreign students benefit from school education in the same conditions provided for the Romanian citizens, and in the upper secondary education, students from third countries have to pay tuition fees, as provided by Law no. 1/2010. The current fee for the upper secondary education is 180 Euros/month, and for higher education the fees are between 220-950 Euros/month (BA studies, MA studies, internship) and 240-970 Euros/month (postgraduate studies, doctoral studies).

  1. As regards enrolment in pre-university education in Romania, pupils who are citizens of countries that are not members of the EU, the EEA or the Swiss Confederations, if one of the parents or legal guardians is in one of the following situations: is repatriated; is, by marriage, domiciled in Romania; has a residence permit in Romania; carries out legal activities on Romania soil; is enrolled in the public/private higher education system. Upon request, pupils/students may benefit from preparatory classes of Romania, organized at the level of School Inspectorates, for an entire school year. The files must be submitted to the Ministry of National Education – the General Directorate for International and European Relations, in keeping with the line methodology.
  2. Foreigners who are citizens of countries that are not members of the EU, EEA or the Swiss Confederation can be enrolled in the higher and postgraduate education system if they meet one of the following requirements:
  • They have Romanian diplomas and certificates or documents attesting the applicant studied at a higher education institution/school in Romania for at least four consecutive years.
  • They speak Romanian and pass a Romanian language test, following an evaluation carried out by a specialized committee, made up of members of the Romanian Department of the licensed higher education institution that the applicant wants to enroll into. If that institution does not have a specialized department, examination can be carried out by a similar committee with another higher education institution. Following this examination, a certificate of linguistic proficiency will be issued.
  • After finishing the prep year, during which they acquire the necessary knowledge of Romanian, as well as specific knowledge related to the future specialization (anatomy, physics, chemistry, technical design, medicine, etc.). The length of the prep year for undergraduate studies is 1 school/academic year, and for master, doctoral and resident studies at least 6 months.

High-school graduates that have a high-school graduation diploma or an equivalent diploma can be enrolled in the first cycle of higher education studies.

The enrolment procedure:

  1. Send the application file to the education institution of choice (all documents in the file must be translated and legalized). There are cases when you may be asked to personally submit the file, so you will be able to come to Romania based on a short stay visa (e.g. tourist), because the education institution cannot issue a document to prove that you will come in person to file the application).
  2. You will get a letter of acceptance or rejection. You don’t have to take an entrance examination to get enrolled; you may only need to take some skill tests.

If you were accepted to study in Romania, you have to submit a file to the MEN, which must contain the following documents:

  • the application for an acceptance letter, filled in completely, in two copies;
  • the high-school graduation diploma (or its equivalent) – copies and legalized translations;
  • school records – copies and legalized translations – for the studies carried out and the school curricula, for those applicants who request equivalency for their studies;
  • a certificate issued by the line authorities to confirm that the documents presented allow the holder, in the country where they were issued, access to studies of the level of those requested in Romania;
  • birth certificate – copy and legalized translation;
  • passport copy;
  • medical certificate (in a world language), attesting that the person who is about to enroll does not suffer from any catching disease or other diseases incompatible with the future profession.

Scroll Up