Education for children
The compulsory pre-school and school education at state and municipal kindergartens and schools shall be free for children and pupils. This education is also free for:
- citizens of another Member State of EU;
- citizens of third countries, who hold a permanent residence permit;
- citizens of third countries, entitled to long-term or prolonged stay in the country, as well as members of their families;
- citizens of third countries, admitted in accordance with acts of the Council of Ministers;
- citizens of third countries, admitted in accordance with an international treaty or agreement on these matters;
- citizens of third countries, in accordance with a special law;
- citizens of third countries, seeking or granted international protection in the country;
- foreign minors, seeking or granted international protection in accordance with the Asylum and Refugees Act, shall receive free education and training at state – owned and municipal kindergartens and schools in the Republic of Bulgaria under the terms and conditions applicable to Bulgarian citizens.
The right to free education shall be exercised by not paying tuition fees for the training financed from the state budget. In the cases other than those specified above, citizens of third countries above the compulsory school age shall be educated at state-owned and municipal schools upon the payment of tuition fees at rates per year approved by the Council of Ministers.